Did you know that…
– Around 1 in 6 older people globally experienced some form of abuse in the past year.
– Rates of abuse may be higher for older people living in institutions than in the community.
– Elder abuse can lead to serious physical injuries and long-term psychological consequences.
– Elder abuse is predicted to increase as many countries are experiencing rapidly ageing populations.
– The global population of people aged 60 years and older will more than double, from 900 million in 2015 to about 2 billion in 2050.
Facts by the UN http://www.un.org/en/events/elderabuse/
Raising awareness of and increasing knowledge on elder abuse is a way to prevent it. It also encourages older people to speak up when their rights are violated. VoiVa Coop raises awareness of elder abuse and older people’s human rights through its EU projects (WHOSEFVA, TISOVA, SAFE).